If you’re using the internet, it’s important to be aware of potential security threats. Here are 10 tips to help you stay safe online:
- Use a strong password and never reuse it across different sites.
- Be careful what you click on – only open emails and attachments from people you know and trust.
- Keep your software up to date, including your operating system, web browser, and any plugins or extensions you use.
- Avoid using public Wi-Fi networks unless you have a VPN (virtual private network) in place.
- Don’t enter sensitive information (like credit card details) on websites that aren’t secure (look for https:// in the address bar).
- Use two-factor authentication (2FA) wherever possible – this adds an extra layer of security to your online accounts.
- Be aware of phishing scams, where criminals try to trick you into giving them personal information or money.
- Keep an eye out for fake websites that mimic legitimate ones – they may be trying to steal your login details.
- Avoid downloading pirated software, as it often comes with malware embedded in it.
- If you think you might have been compromised, change your passwords immediately and run a virus scan on your computer.
Following these tips will help you stay safe online – but remember, no security measure is 100% foolproof. The best defense is always to be aware of the risks and take steps to protect yourself.